Re: [mythsoc] Possible Spoilers About end of ROTK movie

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      In a message dated 1/2/2003 9:37:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      mwinslow-sf@... writes:

      > I'm afraid that what we're going to find /is/ a
      > variant on 'and they lived happily ever after.'

      I highly doubt it. Jackson has already emphasized the fact that Frodo will
      never fully heal; it seems to me that the films hammer this point home
      earlier than the book does. That's what's behind the film conversation
      between Frodo and Sam, when Sam tells Frodo that he can't save Gollum, and
      Frodo says something like, "But I have to try, because I have to have faith
      that he can come back." Sam knows, and we know, that isn't going to happen
      -- and that even if Frodo doesn't wind up as badly off as Gollum, his own
      prognosis isn't cheery.

      Susan

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        At 07:46 AM 1/2/2003 , Matthew Winslow wrote:

        >The fact that the scouring of the Shire is left out entirely makes me shudder.
        >How do we rightly get Frodo to the Grey Havens without the scouring?

        You just fade from the victory celebration to the (previously established
        fact) that the Elves are sailing away, and the extend their hands and take
        Bilbo and Frodo with them. Of course you miss most of Tolkien's point that
        way, but it isn't narratively incoherent. Missing Tolkien's point while
        being narratively coherent is a Jackson specialty.

        >I'm afraid that what we're going to find /is/ a
        >variant on 'and they lived happily ever after.'

        Sure we'll get that too, but like Susan I don't think we'll get _only_ that.

        - David Bratman
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          David S. Bratman [dbratman@...] wrote:
          > >The fact that the scouring of the Shire is left out entirely makes me shudder.
          > >How do we rightly get Frodo to the Grey Havens without the scouring?
          >
          > You just fade from the victory celebration to the (previously established
          > fact) that the Elves are sailing away, and the extend their hands and take
          > Bilbo and Frodo with them. Of course you miss most of Tolkien's point that
          > way, but it isn't narratively incoherent. Missing Tolkien's point while
          > being narratively coherent is a Jackson specialty.

          Yeah, that's what I meant by 'rightly get' -- it's possible narratively, but
          that's reducing the whole scouring to an issue of the narrative alone. And, as
          sparkdog pointed out, the scouring can be a bit of a let-down as far as
          plotting goes, but it's so essential as far as telling the story properly
          goes. Frodo at Mithlond is, I'm afraid, going to be quite shallow, not to
          mention the growth that is finally realized in the other hobbits upon their
          return to the Shire.

          But, as always, you put it quite well, David.

          "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds;
          and the pessimist fears this is true."
          --James Branch Cabell
          Currently reading: J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century by Tom Shippey