Re: [mythsoc] On "LOTR: The Two Towers"; "improvement"?

  • JP Massar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003

      > > That's very well put; I had a hard time explaining clearly what bothered
      > > me
      > > about that, but you've done so. Bringing Sauron onstage in the prologue,
      > > however massive and powerful, also limits him.
      >
      >I disliked Jackson's decision to retell (and not very well) the story of
      >the Rings of Power, the Last Alliance, and the loss of the Ring at the
      >beginning of his movie for a different reason.

      Fascinating.

      I thought the prologue to FoTR was an amazing achievement, one of the
      really brilliant parts of the movie.
    • disneylogic <disneylogic@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
        On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 23:50:42 -0800 David S Bratman
        <dbratman@...> wrote in part:

        [snip]

        >Shelob is an obvious example. Aragorn mentions this
        >principle in the discussion of Caradhras: "There are many evil and
        >unfriendly things in the world that have little love for those that
        go
        >on two legs, and yet are not in league with Sauron, but have
        purposes
        >of their own. Some have been in this world longer than he." They
        may
        >be roused by Sauron or his activities, though: apparently the Balrog
        >was, for instance.

        [snip]

        Well, the balrogs have a history with Sauron, or at least his
        spiritual predecessors. Gandalf among others took on a large group
        of them dispatched from Angband during a major battle in the Second
        Age (*). And Ungoliant, the spider Maiar, helped destroy the Two
        Trees.

        Frankly, I'm not sure I agree with Aragorn that they are properly
        judged as evil. They could simply be independent actors whose
        interests may conflict with "those that go on two legs". There are
        many powers in Middle-earth, in fact the place seems to be teeming
        with them. I doubt they can be classified so simply as evil or good.

        On (*), I thought this was odd. I mean, the balrogs don't exactly
        impress me as team players. In that respect, in Jackson's
        "Fellowship", I think he drew them better than Tolkien did. If I
        recall (don't have the text handy), the Moria balrog first appears
        with orcs nearby, if not actually at his side. Jackson's painting of
        them as running in fear of the balrog seems to me more like their
        nature.

        Indeed, if anything distinguishes "good folk" from "bad folk" in LORD
        OF THE RINGS (the book, not the movie, necessarily) apart from
        expression of compassion, it is the practical feature that "good
        folk" seem to be able to work together whereas "bad folk" seek their
        personal self-interest first. The latter induces chaos and leads to
        their disruption. Of course, "good folk" have faults, too. I think
        Il├║vatar is a tad intolerant of disharmony, at least as related in
        Ainulindale, and that intolerance encourages it.

        --jtg
      • disneylogic <disneylogic@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
          On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 23:50:42 -0800 David S Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote in part:

          [snip]

          >True, but that was what I was saying, so I can't square this with
          >your earlier statement that you thought the LOTR text did not support
          >some of my points.

          >- DB

          Oh, I'm not trying to be consistent. I am, like I think many here, just exploring the possibilities. LOTR is just _so_ evocative.

          --jtg

          [snip]
        • David J Finnamore
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2003
            Ernest S. Tomlinson wrote:

            > Tolkien's genius in _The
            > Lord of the Rings_ was to tell the story from the hobbits' perspective.

            [snip]

            > Jackson's method is to attempt to give us that broad picture right from
            > the start. Because of time constraints, he doesn't do too good a job,
            > but more importantly, he straightaway reduces the hobbits to secondary
            > players in their own story, and dissipates much of the suspense--we know
            > exactly why Gandalf is missing, for example, and we know exactly who the
            > Black Riders are.

            Thank you for putting your finger right on something that had been bothering me just
            beyond the reach of my tongue for months.

            > I watched the
            > first half of the extended cut of _The Fellowship of the Ring_ last
            > night, and I giggled (silently, for I had company) when Sauron appears on
            > Battle Plain and sends his obviously computer-generated foes flying with
            > every swing of his weapon.

            It makes me want to cry out, "It's the finger! Go for the finger!" Yeah,
            trivialized. That's the word. Thank you Earnest and David B.

            --
            David J. Finnamore
            Nashville, TN, USA