Re: [mythsoc] More evidence Orcs are smaller

  • JP Massar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003

      >I was tallying up evidence that Orcs were smaller as it might explain to some
      >extent how Men could slay such quantities of them; though I am not sure
      >Tolkien ever gives such exact (and daunting) odds for Helm's Deep as the "300
      >against 10,000" given by Jackson.

      Tolkien gives reasonably precise numbers for Rohan's forces at Helm's Deep.

      'More than a thousand' left with Theoden from Edoras.

      And when they arrive at Helm's Deep, Gambling reports to Eomer that
      he has about a thousand on foot (but most have seen too many winters,
      or too few).

      Merry tells the three hunters at Isengard that 'ten thousand at the very least'
      left Isengard, although that could be regarded as an exaggeration of
      someone who has never had to estimate such a large number before.