Plot Changes in RotK

  • adamseb <adamseb@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      Given that there have been certain plot changes between the books
      and the movies so far, does anyone want to make any
      guesses/predictions as to what plot changes Peter Jackson will make
      in his RotK film?
      I'll start by including my own prediction: At the Crack of Doom,
      after Gollum rests the Ring from Frodo's finger and is dancing around
      in joy, he falls off the edge *not* by "accident" but by Sam jumping
      up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
      the edge like a football linebacker.

      Blake Adams
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        In a message dated 1/1/2003 6:30:35 PM Central Standard Time,
        adamseb@... writes:

        > by Sam jumping
        > up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
        > the edge like a football linebacker.

        You wanna tell us how Sam so neatly plays linebacker to an invisible man, er,
        ex-hobbit, er, being?

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          In a message dated 1/2/2003 9:59:50 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > > by Sam jumping
          > > up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
          > > the edge like a football linebacker.
          > >

          > You wanna tell us how Sam so neatly plays linebacker to an invisible man,
          > er,
          > ex-hobbit, er, being?

          This is, actually, one of the endings Tolkien thought about before he wrote
          the real one. See END OF THE THIRD AGE.

          Susan

        • disneylogic <disneylogic@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
            Message: 15
            On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 00:29:33 -0000, Blake Adams [adamseb@...]
            writes:

            > Given that there have been certain plot changes between the books
            >and the movies so far, does anyone want to make any
            >guesses/predictions as to what plot changes Peter Jackson will make
            >in his RotK film?

            My kids and I were talking about that just yesterday. A point my
            older son made, which is very true and will put a lot of pressure on
            Jackson, is that there's an AWFUL lot of stuff that has to be covered
            in RotK, many more events and scenes, a royal wedding, battles and
            such, _especially_ if Shelob is being moved into its beginning.
            Jackson and Wood have recently commented RotK is likely to be longer,
            perhaps by as much as a half hour or more, but, still, the
            abbreviated time with the Ents in TTT may seem leisurely in
            comparison.

            Jackson could lose the extended time on the group in Mordor and
            things like Sam and Frodo slipping into the bunch of orcs marching
            along, but there's a lot that seems to have to stay. I hope, for
            instance, he doesn't cut Frodo's capture and Sam's temporarily
            holding the Ring: There's a lot to be said in the scenes which bears
            on the depth of their relationship and, indeed, the quality of
            friendship when Sam rescues him.

            There may be opporunities for brevity at Minas Tirith. Perhaps
            Faramir is being shown as more 'corrupt' because we're going to lose
            the madness of Denethor, but, then, would such a Faramir relinquish
            throne to Elessar?

            We have to have Éowyn dispatch the head Nazgûl, true?

            I don't remember the number of battles, but there are at least four
            of them, no?

            > I'll start by including my own prediction: At the Crack of Doom,
            >after Gollum rests the Ring from Frodo's finger and is dancing around
            >in joy, he falls off the edge *not* by "accident" but by Sam jumping
            >up from where Gollum had knocked him down and knocking Gollum over
            >the edge like a football linebacker.

            Oh, that would be horrible. I fully expect to be a boor and boo if
            that is how it turns out. But I don't see how.

            Frodo has to capitulate to the Ring, and it seems to me he has to
            lose a finger. And it is critical, I think, that Gollum be the one
            to dispatch the Ring rather than Sam, because the compassion theme
            which Jackson is developing in TTT would be lost, and that's a key
            point of the book.

            --jtg

            [snip]
          • Matthew Winslow
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2003
              Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
              > You wanna tell us how Sam so neatly plays linebacker to an invisible man, er,
              > ex-hobbit, er, being?

              Likewise, how does Gollum know where to bite?

              "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
              really happy."
              --Thomas Lounsbury
              Currently reading: J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century by Tom Shippey