Shelob

  • Liz Milner
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 1, 2003
      In Scr(i)pt Magazine (vol 8, #6) there is an interview with Fran Walsh and
      Philippa Boyens where they discuss scripting for the LOTR films. They make
      it sound like Shelob is definately a part of the Return of the King. The
      article also explains the rationale for many of the other plot changes that
      are making me crazy.

      To do a quick and dirty summary, Jackson felt that the focus of the Two
      Towers would be on genocide, ie, the Dark Lord and Saruman's attempt to get
      rid of the race of men (funny, I don't remember this being their intention
      in the novel). Therefore the focus was shifted to men and the Battle of
      Helms Deep was made the central event of the film. Goodbye scenes of Heroic
      Hobbits, Frodo's verbal sparring with Faramir, Ents to the rescue, etc.
      Since Helms Deep was the centerpiece of the film, Shelob had to be moved to
      film three because two mega-climaxes one right after the other would "kill
      each other."

      The magazine's website is www.scriptmag.com

    • John Davis
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 28, 2011