Off-Stage Villains

  • spark654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Tolkien
      > has often been criticized for leaving his chief villain offstage, but he
      > knew that in a book of this kind, to bring the villain onstage only
      > trivializes him. (Read _The Book of Lost Tales_ to see how trivialized
      > Melko is.) He showed restraint and wisdom.
      >
      > - David Bratman

      Maybe this was a limitatino of Tolkien's. I thought the Balrog very
      interesting, visually. Stephen King, for one, has written about keeping the
      villain off-stage.

      Here's where we get in trouble converting a book into a visual medium;
      suggestions in a text allow you to fill-in things with your own imagination.
      Although I know it's not in the cards, I would like to see Sauron take
      physical form at the climax of ROTK, if only because film is a visual medium,
      and I want to see these things on-screen. (Though I thought the Sauron in
      FOTR looked a bit...tubby.)

      When you don't show in a movie, you are cheating. Sometimes you can cheat in
      a way that pays off--the original The Thing, Alien and The Haunting all use
      the technique of not showing or partially-showing the creatures to excellent
      result.

      But in a large-scale fantasy, I don't know if you can get away with that
      unless you keep the being off-screen entirely; that might have been the way
      to go here, and emphasizing that the thrust of the heroes, in part, is to
      keep Sauron from taking form; that way, the viewer knows he can never see
      Sauron because tat will mean he has achieved his goal. (Hollywood too often
      cheats with this sort of thing, saying "This can't happen" and then showing
      it happening, and the hero finding a previously-unknown way of putting the
      genie back in the bottle.)

      Sparkdog

    • tghsaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        >...(Though I thought the Sauron in FOTR looked a bit...tubby.)

        Alas, an often-expressed comment. If you've ever seen a picture of the actor inside that suit, he's a bodybuilder type. Huge, but it really *is* all muscle. Too bad the costume didn't "compliment" him better. -- Trudy