More evidence Orcs are smaller

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      Merry, in the chapter "Flotsam and Jetsam," is describing how Saruman's
      forces set forth to war.

      "I saw the enemy go: endless lines of marching Orcs; and troops of them
      mounted on great wolves."

      (This would be where PJ got the idea for his little extraneous skirmish where
      Aragorn takes a dive. But note that it would take an awfully "great" wolf to
      hold a man w/o his feet dragging. Jackson's wolves looked more like hyenas,
      though, maybe he thinks that is what a Warg looks like.)

      Merry continues:

      "And there were battalions of Men, too ... Most of them were ordinary men,
      rather tall and dark-haired ... But there were some others that were
      horrible: man-high, but with goblin-faces, sallow, leering, squint-eyed."
      (If "goblin" means "orc" here, as I assume it does.)

      In the earlier chapter on the "Uruk-Hai" it does appear that the Uruk-Hai are
      larger than "ordinary" orcs. Are they the same as these "others that were
      horrible"? Yet Merry does not verbally identify them with his captors.

      And, at the end of the chapter "The Black Gate is Closed," Gollum describes
      the "men of the South" as "almost as bad as Orcs, and much bigger."

      I was tallying up evidence that Orcs were smaller as it might explain to some
      extent how Men could slay such quantities of them; though I am not sure
      Tolkien ever gives such exact (and daunting) odds for Helm's Deep as the "300
      against 10,000" given by Jackson.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • JP Massar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003

        >I was tallying up evidence that Orcs were smaller as it might explain to some
        >extent how Men could slay such quantities of them; though I am not sure
        >Tolkien ever gives such exact (and daunting) odds for Helm's Deep as the "300
        >against 10,000" given by Jackson.

        Tolkien gives reasonably precise numbers for Rohan's forces at Helm's Deep.

        'More than a thousand' left with Theoden from Edoras.

        And when they arrive at Helm's Deep, Gambling reports to Eomer that
        he has about a thousand on foot (but most have seen too many winters,
        or too few).

        Merry tells the three hunters at Isengard that 'ten thousand at the very least'
        left Isengard, although that could be regarded as an exaggeration of
        someone who has never had to estimate such a large number before.