Re: Broader World

  • David J Finnamore
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      Been lurking on and off for a while, but couldn't help being roused by this:

      Ernest Tomlinson wrote:

      > > ...I think Tolkien might enjoy these big
      > > adventures, but it doesn't seem to bring his characters joy or fulfillment.
      > > In the end, if I have it right, Frodo is disturbed by his adventures, and
      > > they have "ruined" his simple life in the Shire.
      >
      > _Frodo_ is disturbed, yes, but Merry and Pippin, and to an extent Sam, all
      > derive new energy and decisiveness from their experience; they all end up
      > leaders, with long marriages and lots of children. If Frodo's simple life
      > in the Shire was ruined, it was not mere adventuring that did it. My own
      > take is that Frodo can never find peace again because, at the crucial moment
      > of trial, he flunked: he succumbed to the Ring, and in a sense when the
      > Ring was destroyed, a shadow of the fate which overtook Sauron also claimed
      > Frodo. A part of him was destroyed.

      Please see RotK, ch. 9 (p. 1067 in Houghton Mifflin's single-volume 1993 edition):

      " 'But,' said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, 'I thought you were going to
      enjoy the Shire, to, for years and years, after all you have done.'
      'So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save
      the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when
      things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may
      keep them.'"

      For me, this is the crowning passage of LotR. It is as fine an example of Faerie
      evangelium as you'll find anywhere, I think. Part of Frodo was destroyed, not
      because he flunked, but because he sacrificed himself for his friends.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA