Re: Butterbur's Woodshed

  • Cat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 1999
      Silante Eleanor,

      Can you tell me more 'bout Butterbur's Woodshed? (I know what APAs are like
      _I was in several years ago.) Would it be possible to see an issue? If so,
      my mailing address is 82 Rackleff Street, Portland ME 04103. Thanks!

      Cat Eldridge / I cursed him in my heart. "Um, what day is
      Folk Tales. / it?" With the infinite patience of someone
      An Online Folk Magazine / used to dealing with drunks, musicians, and
      WWW.KINROWAN.COM / techies, he replied, "Sunday."
    • Eleanor Farrell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 1999
        >Can you tell me more 'bout Butterbur's Woodshed? (I know what APAs are like
        >_I was in several years ago.) Would it be possible to see an issue? If so,
        >my mailing address is 82 Rackleff Street, Portland ME 04103. Thanks!

        Dear Cat,

        Thanks for your inquiry! _Butterbur's Woodshed_ is what is known as an
        "apa", or a discussion group by mail. We publish every other month, and
        have set topics for each issue. (The upcoming topics are listed on our web
        page; they include Vera Chapman's _The Notorious Abbess_, the upcoming list
        of Mythopoeic Fantasy Award nominees for 1999, and a general topic issue on
        fairy tales.) Each participant writes up something on the topic (and/or
        comments on items from previous issues, information on new books or other
        items of interest to members, etc.) and sends 24 copies (that's the current
        copy count) to me, the editor, who collates and mails the issues. Each
        member also sends me some money ($10 is a good amount to start) to put in
        their postage account, to pay for postage for issues mailed. Everyone is
        asked to contribute to every other issue, or to three issues per year, to
        remain an active member.

        If you would like to obtain a recent sample issue, send me $2 for postage
        and I'll mail one to you. The submissions are not formal book reviews, but
        more like an informal discussion of the book or books chosen as the topic.
        Sometimes people later work these into essays and put them up on their web
        pages, or rework them into reviews which can be published in _Mythprint_,
        the Society's monthly newsletter.

        We focus on "newer" fantasy literature, in support of the Mythopoeic
        Society's annual fantasy award for new fiction. The three books chosen for
        topics for November through March are all 1998 publications which will be
        eligible for next year's award. This gives us a chance to read some new
        books while considering nominating books for the award. Many (but not all)
        of the members of BW are also on the awards committee. (Anyone in the
        Mythopoeic Society can join the awards committees' and/or nominate books
        for the awards. Info on these is included on the web page.)

        I hope that has answered some of your questions. Please feel free to
        e-mail me with any other specific queries. Thanks for your interest -- I
        hope you will be able to join our group!

        Eleanor Farrell
        Editor, _Butterbur's Woodshed_

        Eleanor M. Farrell
        P.O. Box 320486
        San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
        E-mail: emfarrell@...

        Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)