Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Neophyte

  • David S Bratman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2003
      At 08:23 AM 12/31/2002 -0800, Ernest wrote:

      >A final note: synthetic oaths and swear words _never_ work. Ever. When
      >one of Kay's characters moans, "O Triad!" before sex, the effect is
      >ludicrous.

      That reminds me that Lin Carter, who really should have known better, once
      wrote:

      "There is no religion at all in _The Lord of the Rings_ - no temples,
      shrines, priests, prayers, amulets, scriptures, ikons, idols -
      nothing! None of the many characters, not even the heroic warriors, so
      much as swears by his gods. Obviously because they have no gods."

      Surely this ranks among the ten dumbest remarks ever made about Tolkien,
      unless knocked out by this truly jaw-dropping sentence from the same essay:
      "The lack of real philosophical or psychological depth in _The Lord of the
      Rings_ shows up most seriously, I think, in Tolkien's failure to explore
      the nature of evil."

      - David Bratman
    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
        '"The lack of real philosophical or psychological depth in _The Lord of the
        Rings_ shows up most seriously, I think, in Tolkien's failure to explore
        the nature of evil."'

        That would seem to me to be competing at least in the top five, with a strong heading for first

      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2003
          On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 08:05:58AM -0800, LARRY SWAIN wrote:
          > As long as authors are being tossed out---what do
          > folks think of Guy Gavriel Kay?
          >
          > Larry Swain

          I read his Sarantine Mosaic duology. I was impressed with his effective
          handling of a large cast of characters, and the book overall was pretty
          good. However, it went back to the used book store due to excessive
          beating of prostitutes (and other similar unjustified sexual deviancies and
          violence).