Re: [mythsoc] A question

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
      On 12/31/02 4:03 PM, "JP Massar" <massar@...> wrote:

      > At 06:39 PM 12/31/02 -0500, you wrote:
      >>

      >>> But there are other Orcs who serve Saruman -- 'What orders from Mordor,
      >>> my Lord? What does the Eye command?' who are significantly smaller.
      >>>
      >>> Saruman being so addressed by one of his orcs? Just one of many things
      >> too out
      >> of character to accept.
      >

      > It never occurred to me that there was any problem here.
      > What specifically do you consider out of character?

      The only Orc well characterized in _The Lord of the Rings_ who serves
      Saruman is Ugluk, and he _hates_ "Lugburz" and the Orcs who serve Mordor.
      The Orcs in general are not fleshed out much as characters, but we _do_ know
      that they don't respect authority much, especially external authority. No
      Orc of Saruman would be so servile as to ask what Mordor commands.

      Ernest.