Re: [mythsoc] A non-reader on the nobility issue

  • Ernest Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
      On 12/31/02 6:37 PM, "SusanPal@..." <SusanPal@...> wrote:

      > I haven't had a chance to discuss this with her in detail, but I wonder if
      > it's due to something I noticed in the book when I taught it this past
      > semester, and have since noticed in the films, too. FotR is largely driven
      > by necessity: the urgent need to destroy the Ring, to get out of the Shire,
      > to find some way over or under Caradhras, etc. The characters are all driven
      > along a fairly simple -- if strenuous -- path; in TTT they begin to face
      > multiple and agonizing choices (try to follow Frodo East, or continue South?
      > trust Gollum or not? etc.), and their decisions in the face of those choices
      > shape our perceptions of their characters. More than in TTT, we move from
      > admiring them because they do what must be done to admiring them for being
      > able to *decide* what must be done, and to act on it.

      An excellent point! Very astute. I can add this observation, now that I
      think about it: when the characters _do_ make hard choices in _The
      Fellowship of the Ring_, they go wrong, from the small scale to the large.
      Frodo backed by Merry decides on cutting through the Old Forest to avoid the
      dangerous Road, and nearly end the Quest disastrously right there; Aragorn's
      decision to lead the hobbits to Weathertop leads them into a trap; Gandalf's
      decision to take the Fellowship out of sight into Moria costs him his life;
      Aragorn delays and delays a final decision on where the Ring should go,
      until fate takes the decision out of his hands.

      Cheers,

      Ernest.