Veracity

  • spark654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
      In a message dated 12/31/02 10:16:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > > Excalibur, on the other hand, is a film I love,
      > > though I can't speak for its veracity.
      >
      > What does "veracity" mean when you're talking about King Arthur and the
      > Round
      > Table?
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

      veracity--adherence to the truth; truthfulness.

      To the best of my knowledge, I'm not alone in not knowing the truth about the
      inspiration behind the Arthurian myths. That's all I was saying.

      Relax.

      Sparkdog

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
        In a message dated 12/31/2002 10:48:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        spark654@... writes:

        > veracity--adherence to the truth; truthfulness.

        Yes, I know what "veracity" means. I wanted to know what it had to do with
        an evaluation of a fictional work. I think Ernest and Anne in later posts
        made a better point by saying that it meant abiding by the canon of Arthurian
        legend. I'm not sure that that's what you meant, though. Were you talking
        about some (possibly non-existent) real model for King Arthur, or were you
        talking about the legends?

      • spark654@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > An expectation that Arthurian stories should have some historical veracity
          > seems to me a vain hope. Arthur as we know him is fictional: there's
          > nothing for him to be veracious to.

          I should have made it clear that I was kidding when I said I can't vouch for
          Excalibur's veracity.

          Sparkdog