Re: [mythsoc] Proper Adaptation

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
      In a message dated 12/31/2002 2:26:15 PM Central Standard Time,
      chowlett@... writes:

      > > > Does anyone have examples of film adaptations they would point to and
      > say,
      > > > "THAT is how an adaptation should be done?"

      A&E's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (Colin Firth as Darcy) was pretty close to being
      right.

      But it was a TV series and took six hours, iirc.

      There was a good film of PERSUASION (Alan Rickman as Capt. Wentworth) and a
      good, but too short, film of EMMA w/Kate Beckinsale.

      The TV version of three Narnia stories (combining PRINCE CASPIAN/DAWN TREADER
      into one) managed to make them into pretty good films. Unfortunately the
      state of special effects wasn't up to the requirements and Aslan looks mighty
      "stuffed." Nor did I believe the Beavers and some of the other "dressed
      animals."

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
        I said

        There was a good film of PERSUASION (Alan Rickman as Capt. Wentworth)

        This was incorrect; Ciaran Hinds played the Captain.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
          On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 02:36:25PM -0500, spark654@... wrote:
          > Does anyone have examples of film adaptations they would point to and say,
          > "THAT is how an adaptation should be done?"

          _Anne of Green Gables_, the 1985 TV movie with Megan Follows, is one that
          is not strictly faithful to the text but does remain true to the spirit of
          L. M. Montgomery's novel. The current animated cartoon on PBS is another
          story. We caught a few minutes of that while trapped in the bathroom for
          a 2:30-3:00 pm tornado warning this week. EW!