Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1089

  • spark654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 31, 2002
      In a message dated 12/31/02 7:33:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > > How were these two characters portrayed differently in the books?
      >
      > In the books, Aragorn is ready, willing, and able to be king. He's lead
      > the Dunedain for over 50 years, and served in the armies of Rohan and
      > Gondor (in disguise). I greatly prefer that to Jackson's rewriting of
      > the character.
      >
      > Joan

      Thank you for the explanation. I don't see this readiness in the film
      character at all, yet I don't see him running away from being king, either,
      especially in the second film.

      I think I would believe such a character in a novel, but would shade him as
      they do in the film. I don't think it's a radical change, it's just an added
      dimension that adds to audience participation. In a film, to see a man
      totally ready to take the crown and then fighting for it is good, but seeing
      a man wary of taking the crown, who then participates in the fight, and in
      doing so gradually becomes ready to take the crown is more interesting.

      Sparkdog

    • John Davis
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 28, 2011
        Thanks everyone!