Proper Adaptation

  • spark654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
      In a message dated 12/31/02 9:08:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > There is complete disagreement
      > only about one thing: whether the movie is any good as a film, divorced
      > from Tolkien. I am perceived as an extremist among "PJ-bashers," but
      > that's not true: I actually _like_ the films, as films.

      Does anyone have examples of film adaptations they would point to and say,
      "THAT is how an adaptation should be done?"

      Sparkdog

    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
        The 1940s "Les Miserables" - which is what got me to pick up the book. The
        musical is horrible. I love both the book and the movie.
        Christine

      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
          I liked "Silence of the Lambs" -- *love* the book (which I've taught
          profitably in lit courses) and was very impressed with the film adaptation.
          Not perfect, as some important scenes in the novel are internal and couldn't
          be translated onto screen, but very close.

          Also, someone here mentioned "Tuck Everlasting" a while ago. My husband and
          I saw the film on the basis of that recommendation; I loved it and he didn't,
          because he found it preposterous that anyone would turn down the possibility
          of living forever. I've now read the novel and find the film more
          satisfying, but I'm not sure if that's because I came to it first and it was
          designed to appeal both to adults and to kids. Certainly it took liberties
          with the text to make the story more broadly appealing.

          Susan
        • Randall Eicher
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2002
              In a message dated 12/31/2002 2:26:15 PM Central Standard Time,
              chowlett@... writes:

              > > > Does anyone have examples of film adaptations they would point to and
              > say,
              > > > "THAT is how an adaptation should be done?"

              A&E's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (Colin Firth as Darcy) was pretty close to being
              right.

              But it was a TV series and took six hours, iirc.

              There was a good film of PERSUASION (Alan Rickman as Capt. Wentworth) and a
              good, but too short, film of EMMA w/Kate Beckinsale.

              The TV version of three Narnia stories (combining PRINCE CASPIAN/DAWN TREADER
              into one) managed to make them into pretty good films. Unfortunately the
              state of special effects wasn't up to the requirements and Aslan looks mighty
              "stuffed." Nor did I believe the Beavers and some of the other "dressed
              animals."

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2003
                I said

                There was a good film of PERSUASION (Alan Rickman as Capt. Wentworth)

                This was incorrect; Ciaran Hinds played the Captain.

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • juliet@firinn.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2003
                  On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 02:36:25PM -0500, spark654@... wrote:
                  > Does anyone have examples of film adaptations they would point to and say,
                  > "THAT is how an adaptation should be done?"

                  _Anne of Green Gables_, the 1985 TV movie with Megan Follows, is one that
                  is not strictly faithful to the text but does remain true to the spirit of
                  L. M. Montgomery's novel. The current animated cartoon on PBS is another
                  story. We caught a few minutes of that while trapped in the bathroom for
                  a 2:30-3:00 pm tornado warning this week. EW!