Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien manuscript

  • David S Bratman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2002
      At 01:33 PM 12/30/2002 -0500, Carl Hostetter wrote:

      >My recollection is that the figure of "2000" (!) MS pages is a gross
      >inflation. I would guess that there were at most a fifth of that
      >number, but I don't have my Bodleian catalogue listing at hand to check.

      Possibly the figure was intended by Drout to include the Beowulf lecture
      notes that Wayne mentions?

      Thank you for the comments on Drout's "Beowulf and the Critics" book, which
      I haven't yet seen.

      At 01:46 PM 12/30/2002 -0500, you wrote:

      >Probably the biggest
      >head-scratcher is the hundred-plus pages of slavish representation of
      >every strike-through, insertion, and alteration that Tolkien made, no
      >matter how small, and without regard to whether the changes indicated
      >reflect any significant change of thought on Tolkien's part (and the
      >vast majority do not).

      I've noticed before, among textual scholars, an occasional inability to
      separate the significant from the insignificant in editing
      manuscripts. ("What's the significance of that dot? Oh, it's a
      flyspeck.") I tried for a reasonable approach in editing Williams's "The
      Masque of the Termination of Copyright", silently amending the punctuation
      and formatting to conform with the published editions of the earlier
      Masques, and leaning heavily on the typed copy (made by a typist closely
      familiar with Williams's work) for interpretation of ambiguities - though
      there was one word which I concluded the typist had simply gotten wrong,
      not counting simple typos. Such alternates as I did consider significant I
      put in footnotes, but there weren't a lot of them.

      - David Bratman