The Woad Song

  • Madame K
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 1999
      Dear Fellow Mythfolk:

      I need the lyrics to the (in)famous British camp-type song (occasionally
      sung at Mythcons) about how much fun it is to wear woad (and nothing but!).
      Can anyone provide them? (David B., perhaps?)

      Merci d'avance!

      Mary Jo Kapsalis

      � propos. . . While I was in the Tarn (south central France) this summer, I
      visited a fascinating little museum devoted entirely to the history,
      manufacture and uses of woad and the plant from which it comes. There was a
      period when the "boules de cocagne" (balls of concentrated fabric dye base)
      were literally worth more than their weight in gold. Vast fortunes were
      made before woad-based blue dyes were replaced by others which were cheaper
      and easier to produce. The area east of Toulouse still retains the nickname
      "Pays de Cocagne". Another of the numerous Celtic-related aspects of
      France!

      MJ

    • Daffyd ap Morgen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 1999
        At 07:44 PM 9/21/1999 PDT, you wrote:
        >From: "Madame K" <mjrksr@...>
        >
        >Dear Fellow Mythfolk:
        >
        >I need the lyrics to the (in)famous British camp-type song (occasionally
        >sung at Mythcons) about how much fun it is to wear woad (and nothing but!).
        >Can anyone provide them? (David B., perhaps?)
        >
        >Merci d'avance!

        This link is to The Digital Traditions Database, for songs titles beginning
        with "W." Go down the page until you find "WOAD" Click on that, and then
        warm up the throat pipes!

        http://www.mudcat.org/titles-w.cfm

        Incidentally, Digital Traditions Database is a Filkers's paradise. Anyone
        in the Society wishing to collect together their own song book can make an
        excellent start here.

        Daffyd ap Morgen
      • d.bratman@genie.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
          Here's how I sing it, and have for 25 years since I learned it from other
          wee filkers in the wayback:

          WOAD

          [tune: Men of Harlech]

          What's the use of wearing braces
          Hats and spats and shoes with laces
          Vests and coats you buy in places
          Down on Brompton Road?

          What's the use of shirts of cotton
          Studs that always get forgotten?
          Such affairs are simply rotten
          Better far is Woad!

          Woad's the stuff to show men
          Woad to scare your foemen
          Boil it to a brilliant blue
          And rub it on your legs and your abdomen

          Ancient Britons never hit on
          Anything as good as Woad to fit on
          Neck and knees and where you sit on
          Tailors, you be blowed!

          Romans came across the Channel
          All dressed up in tin and flannel
          Half a pint of Woad per man'll
          Clothe us more than these!

          Saxons, ye may save your stitches
          Building beds for bugs in britches
          We have Woad to clothe us, which is
          Not a nest for fleas!

          Romans, save your armor
          Saxons, your pajamas
          Hairy coats were made for goats
          Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs, and llamas

          So march on Snowdon with your Woad on
          Never mind if you get rained or snowed on
          Never need a button sewed on ...

          [and there are alternate last lines:]
          1) Bottoms up to Woad! [if you're holding a drink]
          2) Woad for us today! [if you are not]

          David Bratman
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
            Thanks Dafydd for the =wonderful= URL! I'm all excited and even wrote a
            couple replies to the Forum.

            Takes me back to the days when I met my dear husband and he was a dedicated
            folk (not filk) singer.

            Mary S
          • Madame K
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
              >To: mythsoc@onelist.com
              >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] The Woad Song
              >Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999

              Many thanks, Daffyd and David! (Does the name have something to do with this
              knowledge?) You gave me just what I needed, and the Mudcat site is
              terrific!

              That's a "woad" off my mind! (Ducking and running. . .)

              Sorry--couldn't resist the temptation!

              Mary Jo