Butterbur's Woodshed

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 1999
      Following Diane Baker's comments about BW in a recent post, this seems an
      appropriate time to introduce Butterbur's Woodshed to list members who
      might not be familiar with it. The Mythopoeic Society sponsors two "apa"
      (amateur press association) publications, which work more or less as print
      discussion groups. I am the editor of _Butterbur's Woodshed_, which focuses
      on general fantasy literature, especially new books which may be eligible
      for the Society's annual Mythopoeic Awards. We publish every other month,
      six times a year, and have set topics for each issue.

      The other Society-sponsored apa is _Once Upon a Time_ which focuses on
      children's literature.

      Please note that, unlike the other Society publications, these are not
      available for subscription only; they require participation to join and to
      remain active.

      Specific information on either or both of these publications can be found
      on the Society web site:

      http://www.mythsoc.org/discgroups.html

      As the editor of _Butterbur's Woodshed_, I will be happy to answer
      questions from anyone who is interested in joining or in learning more
      about our topics; please contact me directly.

      Ellie Farrell
      emfarrell@...

      Eleanor M. Farrell
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

      Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)
    • Cat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 1999
        Silante Eleanor,

        Can you tell me more 'bout Butterbur's Woodshed? (I know what APAs are like
        _I was in several years ago.) Would it be possible to see an issue? If so,
        my mailing address is 82 Rackleff Street, Portland ME 04103. Thanks!

        Cat Eldridge / I cursed him in my heart. "Um, what day is
        Folk Tales. / it?" With the infinite patience of someone
        An Online Folk Magazine / used to dealing with drunks, musicians, and
        WWW.KINROWAN.COM / techies, he replied, "Sunday."
      • Eleanor Farrell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 1999
          >Can you tell me more 'bout Butterbur's Woodshed? (I know what APAs are like
          >_I was in several years ago.) Would it be possible to see an issue? If so,
          >my mailing address is 82 Rackleff Street, Portland ME 04103. Thanks!

          Dear Cat,

          Thanks for your inquiry! _Butterbur's Woodshed_ is what is known as an
          "apa", or a discussion group by mail. We publish every other month, and
          have set topics for each issue. (The upcoming topics are listed on our web
          page; they include Vera Chapman's _The Notorious Abbess_, the upcoming list
          of Mythopoeic Fantasy Award nominees for 1999, and a general topic issue on
          fairy tales.) Each participant writes up something on the topic (and/or
          comments on items from previous issues, information on new books or other
          items of interest to members, etc.) and sends 24 copies (that's the current
          copy count) to me, the editor, who collates and mails the issues. Each
          member also sends me some money ($10 is a good amount to start) to put in
          their postage account, to pay for postage for issues mailed. Everyone is
          asked to contribute to every other issue, or to three issues per year, to
          remain an active member.

          If you would like to obtain a recent sample issue, send me $2 for postage
          and I'll mail one to you. The submissions are not formal book reviews, but
          more like an informal discussion of the book or books chosen as the topic.
          Sometimes people later work these into essays and put them up on their web
          pages, or rework them into reviews which can be published in _Mythprint_,
          the Society's monthly newsletter.

          We focus on "newer" fantasy literature, in support of the Mythopoeic
          Society's annual fantasy award for new fiction. The three books chosen for
          topics for November through March are all 1998 publications which will be
          eligible for next year's award. This gives us a chance to read some new
          books while considering nominating books for the award. Many (but not all)
          of the members of BW are also on the awards committee. (Anyone in the
          Mythopoeic Society can join the awards committees' and/or nominate books
          for the awards. Info on these is included on the web page.)

          I hope that has answered some of your questions. Please feel free to
          e-mail me with any other specific queries. Thanks for your interest -- I
          hope you will be able to join our group!

          Eleanor Farrell
          Editor, _Butterbur's Woodshed_