it gets worse....

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2002
      Oh dear, well, I went to see the film at midnight last night.
      I just wanted to get it out of the way before the deluge of reviews.
      Part II makes Part I seem, in contrast, highly faithful to the actual text!!!
      Painful to watch.
      So many changes that are worse than gratuitous, that horrifically distort the
      characters, that render the action, motives, dialogue, etc, nonsensical.

      Beautiful scenery, sets, and costumes/props, at least.

      I wonder if all this will still go over well with the larger public?
      In one way, I feel there should be some serious negative consequences for the
      director, etc., to reckon with, in the hopes that this will dissuade the next
      group to try a film version (eventually someone will try again) from so
      freely indulging in inane whole cloth rewrites. What makes these people so
      arrogant that think they are improving the story?
      I wonder if anyone had the nerve to tell Peter Jackson-hey these changes in
      the plot are really, really bad, and you are going to f**k everything else up
      that you are doing nicely if you persist in them?
      Have Alan Lee and Steve Howe, two people who actually do, in their own works,
      adhere to Tolkien's story as actually written, had anything to say recently,
      now that the film is out?? I can't believe they were happy with all this, but
      maybe it would only have make things worse had they declined to participate
      in the film at all, absent a better screenplay.

      What a wasted opportunity, all that money and time and nice locations and
      sets and all.....

      John