A Dream

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2002
      Last night I dreamed that I went to see the film of "The Two Towers". I
      don't think I've ever dreamed of going to the movies before.

      In my dream, the film begins with the arrival of members of the Fellowship
      at Edoras. Edoras looks like a Greco-Roman palace, full of pillars and
      reflecting pools. [I visited Rome two months ago, though I didn't get to
      any country palaces.] There are long tedious scenes of formal greetings
      and a banquet, followed by a ballet in which "youths and maidens" (as they
      used to be called) dance in the reflecting pools, pouring water over their
      heads. [It's been raining heavily here lately.]

      By this time I was looking at my watch. The film was about half over, and
      nothing much had happened yet. Finally it turns out that the Ring has
      somehow gotten into the hands of Sauron's agents, but they don't realize
      what they have; and delicate political negotiations ensue to try to get the
      Ring back so that Frodo can continue on his quest from where he left off.

      This is a dream, so it doesn't have to make sense. But the actual movie
      doesn't have to make sense either, does it?

      - David Bratman