[mythsoc] used books

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2002
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: ERATRIANO@...
      Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:18:12 EST
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] IF YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR USED BOOKS

      In a message dated 12/10/2002 8:24:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      dianejoy@... writes:

      > I find that it's much harder to let go of the book once I have it in my
      > hand. Therefore, I am much more likely to buy it, rather than looking at
      > pic of it at an online bookstore. Of course, if it's a title I've been
      > looking for (such as that last Daniel Hood title I haven't been able to
      > find), I'm in trouble, even on line. ---djb

      Hmmm.... I have a different condition. If it's online and reasonably
      affordable, and a topic/title that I want, I may not be able to resist
      buying
      it. In person, I can open the book and flip through it and often it's not
      really what I want. I am getting better but I have bought many things
      online
      (books and other things) that I would have been able to resist in person.
      ______________________

      Point taken. Assuming that happens; I often find that the table of
      contents and / or writing style gets me more interested, even if it's not
      what I was looking for. But I *can* put the book down if it's way off base.
      ________________________

      There are usually way more choices online than in any one bookstore, too,
      so
      even as I get better at resisting, I can always keep plugging more things
      into the search engine and find more temptations. All too often in a
      bookstore, I consult my list and can't find most of the titles.
      ________________________

      Now *there's* a real problem! I tend to use the online stores as a title /
      author search, previewing books that interest me. Then I go to the store
      and see if they have it. Sometimes, their *not* having it is a *good*
      thing. I *don't* want to give my card numbers out online, so I only buy
      online when it's part of a book club. It's probably extra-paranoid, but
      I'm such a book-a-holic that it's frighteningly easy for me to run up a
      huge tab. So I have not started buying books that way yet. Bad enough
      when I go to a brick and mortar store, and used bookstores are my true
      fave! ---djb

      PS Had to get that awful spam title off! Bleah!

      Who is Daniel Hood?

      Lizzie

      http://mail2web.com/ .