A reviewer confronts TWO TOWERS

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2002
      This is one of my favorite reviewers, and I'm allowed to circulate her stuff,
      she says - I =loved= this paragraph; but then I've never been much for fight
      scenes, myself:

      ' "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" is big. You knew that. And it's
      noisy--hoo boy, with the surround-sound, it's like being inside a washing
      machine. A Victorian poet hailed "ignorant armies [that] clash by night." Now

      imagine that literalized, with the help of computer graphic software that
      creates gazillions of little critters, each programmed to pick a fight with
      the nearest other critter, and each given individual levels of weariness,
      impulsiveness, and intelligence. Push a button and a hundred thousand of
      these start whaling at each other. In the dark. In the rain. For a long, long

      time. If you're like me, after not much of this you start planning dinner and

      trying to remember where you parked the car. Be patient, the storyline will
      eventually resume.'

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2002
        In a message dated 12/7/2002 8:34:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > Now imagine that literalized, with the help of computer graphic software
        > that
        > creates gazillions of little critters, each programmed to pick a fight with
        >
        > the nearest other critter, and each given individual levels of weariness,
        > impulsiveness, and intelligence.

        I read -- in ESQUIRE, I think -- that in the very earliest version of this
        program (which is an AI program, essentially), some of the little critters,
        faced with battle, instead turned tail and ran away.

        Sounds smart to me! But of course, you can't have the noble warriors of
        Rohan acting that way (orcs, maybe), so they fiddled with the program to keep
        it from happening. Which involved ratcheting the intelligence levels
        *downward,* one suspects!

        Susan