Re: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
      > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
      > with
      > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
      > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
      > get that.)

      When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
      made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

      SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

      (or else it was the other way around)

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
        can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
          lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
          at a holiday bake sale...

          Lizzie

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

            <<Well, actually this only works right in
            German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
            stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
            slightly different.>>

            _Amandelbrood_. :-)
            Alexei