Re: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
      > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

      In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
      and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
      and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
      people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
      about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
      made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
      the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
      can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
      get that.)

      Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
      know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
      and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
      German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
      stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
      slightly different.

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
        > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
        > with
        > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
        > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
        > get that.)

        When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
        made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

        SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

        (or else it was the other way around)

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
          can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

          In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time,
          jbcroft@...
          writes:

          > Mandelbrot sets

          I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
          used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
          27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
          www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
            lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
            at a holiday bake sale...

            Lizzie

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

              <<Well, actually this only works right in
              German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
              stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
              slightly different.>>

              _Amandelbrood_. :-)
              Alexei