The boot gets Mortensen

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2002
      The boot gets Mortensen

      Middle earth is not for sissies. Viggo Mortensen learned that when he broke
      his toes while filming "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers."

      As Aragorn, Mortensen was filming a scene where he comes across some burning
      bodies that he thinks are toasted Hobbits. "I said, 'You're so upset. Why
      don't you kick one of the helmets on the ground out of frustration," director
      Peter Jackson reveals.

      A Method kicker, Mortensen was only too happy to punt that helmet with all
      his might.

      "On the fifth take, Viggo kicked the helmet, screamed, clenched his fists and
      dropped to his knees," Jackson says. "I thought he was just doing some
      powerful acting. But then I noticed after I said 'cut' that he wasn't saying
      anything. Finally, he did the next scene limping."

      Jackson says he made Mortensen take off his boot. "His toes were broken.
      Normally, an actor would yell 'ow' if they hurt themselves, and stop the
      scene. Viggo turned a broken toe into a performance that's a great moment in
      the film," he says.

      <A HREF="http://www.suntimes.com/output/movies/cst-ftr-viggo05.html">The boot gets Mortensen</A> You can feel his pain on Dec. 18 when "The Two
      Towers" opens.Cindy Pearlman