RE: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
      rotfl.....:)

      Janet

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Stolzi@... [mailto:Stolzi@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 5:35 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

      In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time,
      jbcroft@...
      writes:

      > Mandelbrot sets

      I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
      used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

      Diamond Proudbrook

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
      27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
      www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
      l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
        > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

        In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
        and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
        and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
        people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
        about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
        made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
        the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
        can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
        get that.)

        Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
        know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
        and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
        German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
        stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
        slightly different.

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
          > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
          > with
          > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
          > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
          > get that.)

          When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
          made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

          SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

          (or else it was the other way around)

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
            can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
              lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
              at a holiday bake sale...

              Lizzie

            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

                <<Well, actually this only works right in
                German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                slightly different.>>

                _Amandelbrood_. :-)
                Alexei