Re: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
      > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

      *total awe* ;-)

      Lizzie

    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
        rotfl.....:)

        Janet

        In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time,
        jbcroft@...
        writes:

        > Mandelbrot sets

        I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
        used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
        www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
          > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

          In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
          and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
          and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
          people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
          about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
          made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
          the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
          can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
          get that.)

          Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
          know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
          and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
          German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
          stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
          slightly different.

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
            > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
            > with
            > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
            > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
            > get that.)

            When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
            made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

            SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

            (or else it was the other way around)

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
              can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
                lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
                at a holiday bake sale...

                Lizzie

              • alexeik@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

                  <<Well, actually this only works right in
                  German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                  stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                  slightly different.>>

                  _Amandelbrood_. :-)
                  Alexei