Re: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time, jbcroft@...
      writes:

      > Mandelbrot sets

      I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
      used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
        > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

        *total awe* ;-)

        Lizzie

      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
          rotfl.....:)

          Janet

          writes:

          > Mandelbrot sets

          I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
          used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
          27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
          www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
            > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

            In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
            and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
            and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
            people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
            about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
            made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
            the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
            can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
            get that.)

            Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
            know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
            and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
            German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
            stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
            slightly different.

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
              > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
              > with
              > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
              > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
              > get that.)

              When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
              made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

              SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

              (or else it was the other way around)

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
                can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
                  lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
                  at a holiday bake sale...

                  Lizzie

                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                    In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

                    <<Well, actually this only works right in
                    German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                    stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                    slightly different.>>

                    _Amandelbrood_. :-)
                    Alexei