Re: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      In a message dated 12/4/2002 10:47:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > I finally looked up James Gleick's _Chaos_ on amazon... is chaos theory
      > related to that fractals thing?

      Yes.

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time, jbcroft@...
        writes:

        > Mandelbrot sets

        I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
        used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
          > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

          *total awe* ;-)

          Lizzie

        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
            rotfl.....:)

            Janet

            writes:

            > Mandelbrot sets

            I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
            used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

            Diamond Proudbrook

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
            27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
            www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
              writes:

              > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
              > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

              In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
              and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
              and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
              people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
              about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
              made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
              the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
              can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
              get that.)

              Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
              know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
              and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
              German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
              stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
              slightly different.

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
                > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
                > with
                > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
                > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
                > get that.)

                When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
                made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

                SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

                (or else it was the other way around)

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
                  can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                    No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
                    lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
                    at a holiday bake sale...

                    Lizzie

                  • alexeik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                      In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

                      <<Well, actually this only works right in
                      German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                      stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                      slightly different.>>

                      _Amandelbrood_. :-)
                      Alexei