RE: [mythsoc] Gleick wot?

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Try E-Bay -- a lot of stuff from the Levenger outlet store winds up there,
      and you can get Levenger pen cases at a deep discount. I've bought a couple
      of their True Writers cheaply on E-Bay.

      I know little about math related to fractals, but some other terms you can
      look up are Mandelbrot sets and Julia sets. Try Google. I had a beautiful
      calendar this year with fractal art for each month -- wonderful!

      Janet Croft

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        In a message dated 12/4/2002 10:47:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > I finally looked up James Gleick's _Chaos_ on amazon... is chaos theory
        > related to that fractals thing?

        Yes.

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time, jbcroft@...
          writes:

          > Mandelbrot sets

          I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
          used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
            > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

            *total awe* ;-)

            Lizzie

          • Croft, Janet B
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
              rotfl.....:)

              Janet

              writes:

              > Mandelbrot sets

              I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
              used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

              Diamond Proudbrook

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
              27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
              www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
              l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                writes:

                > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
                > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

                In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
                and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
                and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
                people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
                about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
                made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
                the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
                can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
                get that.)

                Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
                know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
                and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
                German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                slightly different.

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
                  WendellWag@... writes:

                  > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
                  > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
                  > with
                  > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
                  > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
                  > get that.)

                  When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
                  made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

                  SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

                  (or else it was the other way around)

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                    Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
                    can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                      No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
                      lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
                      at a holiday bake sale...

                      Lizzie

                    • alexeik@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                        In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

                        <<Well, actually this only works right in
                        German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                        stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                        slightly different.>>

                        _Amandelbrood_. :-)
                        Alexei