Gleick wot?

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Wendell and others...

      I finally looked up James Gleick's _Chaos_ on amazon... is chaos theory
      related to that fractals thing?

      And on a related note, anyone suggest a place I can get a nice pen case for
      my Dad for Christmas, for less than Levenger prices?

      thanks

      Lizzie

    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Try E-Bay -- a lot of stuff from the Levenger outlet store winds up there,
        and you can get Levenger pen cases at a deep discount. I've bought a couple
        of their True Writers cheaply on E-Bay.

        I know little about math related to fractals, but some other terms you can
        look up are Mandelbrot sets and Julia sets. Try Google. I had a beautiful
        calendar this year with fractal art for each month -- wonderful!

        Janet Croft

        I finally looked up James Gleick's _Chaos_ on amazon... is chaos theory
        related to that fractals thing?

        And on a related note, anyone suggest a place I can get a nice pen case for
        my Dad for Christmas, for less than Levenger prices?

        thanks

        Lizzie

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1339747/R=0/*http://click.atdmt.com/COL/go/yhxxxchm00400063col/direc
        t/01/&time=1039016776613064>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=228862.2128520.3581629.1925585/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1339747/rand=773118985>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          In a message dated 12/4/2002 10:47:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > I finally looked up James Gleick's _Chaos_ on amazon... is chaos theory
          > related to that fractals thing?

          Yes.

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            In a message dated 12/4/2002 9:53:05 AM Central Standard Time, jbcroft@...
            writes:

            > Mandelbrot sets

            I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
            used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
              writes:

              > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
              > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

              *total awe* ;-)

              Lizzie

            • Croft, Janet B
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
                rotfl.....:)

                Janet

                writes:

                > Mandelbrot sets

                I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
                used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

                Diamond Proudbrook

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                27:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
                www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2711418.4084139.1925585/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1327985/rand=606790640>

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  In a message dated 12/4/2002 6:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                  writes:

                  > I have a beautiful German porcelain one I got on e-bay, and the set can be
                  > used, too, for serving other holiday treats besides almond bread!

                  In 1990, while living in England, I went with a tour group to visit Belgium
                  and the Netherlands. I bought some almond bread someplace during the trip
                  and brought it back to share with the other people in my office. The other
                  people in my office were also mathematicians. We had shared jokes before
                  about the Mandelbrot set. For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
                  made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front with
                  the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
                  can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
                  get that.)

                  Anyway, when I gave the almond bread to my officemates, I asked, "Does anyone
                  know what the mathematical term is to describe this?" They looked mystified
                  and I said, "This is mandel brot." Well, actually this only works right in
                  German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                  stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                  slightly different.

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                    In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:14:14 AM Central Standard Time,
                    WendellWag@... writes:

                    > For instance, we thought about having T-shirts
                    > made for all of us that had a picture of the Mandelbrot set on the front
                    > with
                    > the words "Join the Mandelbrot set." On the back would be the words "You
                    > can't join. It's closed." (Um, I guess you have to be a mathematician to
                    > get that.)

                    When son John was at Carleton College, the geology students had T-shirts
                    made for themselves with the very naughty sounding legend

                    SUBDUCTION PRECEDES OROGENY

                    (or else it was the other way around)

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                      Almond bread sounds like it would be absolutely wonderful. I wonder if I
                      can manage to get some for the holidays at my downtown bakery, Servarti's.

                      http://mail2web.com/ .
                    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                        No, no, you want homemade. Heaps of work (my mom learned from the little old
                        lady next door, and I dread trying to learn) but maybe available in a swap or
                        at a holiday bake sale...

                        Lizzie

                      • alexeik@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                          In a message dated 12/6/2 12:14:14 PM, Wendell wrote:

                          <<Well, actually this only works right in
                          German or Yiddish. In Dutch/Flemish (which would apply where I bought the
                          stuff), the word for "almond bread" is something very close to this but
                          slightly different.>>

                          _Amandelbrood_. :-)
                          Alexei