RE: [mythsoc] Build your own Hobbit Hole

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
      Also needs more fireplaces, not just in the kitchen. What's a zen room
      without a fireplace, I ask you?

      And one would have to deal with the issue of radon buildup, as with any
      underground house. But I still wants one!

      Janet

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        At 12:00 PM 12/2/2002 , Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:
        >SusanPal@... wrote:
        >
        >>Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?
        >>
        >Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
        >have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
        >would be more useful.

        There are a fair number of above-ground barn-like buildings in Hobbiton,
        according to Tolkien's drawing "The Hill: Hobbiton-across-The-Water," which
        could easily have been used as garages in the sense Lisa means.

        - David Bratman
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
          Surely radon must be a substance unknown to hobbit science in the Third Age,
          so I can't see Merry writing a treatise on smial radon mitigation. If
          Saruman were to be consulted, he might know a thing or two on the subject.

          Peace,
          Paul Labaki