Re: [mythsoc] Build your own Hobbit Hole

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
      Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?

      What's wrong with this picture?

      However, this would conveniently double as a fallout shelter . . . .

      Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

      Susan
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        SusanPal@... wrote:

        >Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?

        Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
        have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
        would be more useful.

        Would need more space for my library, computers and stuff. Still it is a
        nice start. Now all I need is a hill...

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa
      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
          Also needs more fireplaces, not just in the kitchen. What's a zen room
          without a fireplace, I ask you?

          And one would have to deal with the issue of radon buildup, as with any
          underground house. But I still wants one!

          Janet

          >Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?

          Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
          have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
          would be more useful.

          Would need more space for my library, computers and stuff. Still it is a
          nice start. Now all I need is a hill...

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2658116.4039490.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
          27:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https://www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22lp?Targe
          t=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2658116.4039490.1925585/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=549242885>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
            At 12:00 PM 12/2/2002 , Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:
            >SusanPal@... wrote:
            >
            >>Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?
            >>
            >Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
            >have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
            >would be more useful.

            There are a fair number of above-ground barn-like buildings in Hobbiton,
            according to Tolkien's drawing "The Hill: Hobbiton-across-The-Water," which
            could easily have been used as garages in the sense Lisa means.

            - David Bratman
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
              Surely radon must be a substance unknown to hobbit science in the Third Age,
              so I can't see Merry writing a treatise on smial radon mitigation. If
              Saruman were to be consulted, he might know a thing or two on the subject.

              Peace,
              Paul Labaki