Build your own Hobbit Hole

  • Max Rible
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
      Found this link in a story on Slashdot-- someone thinks that "hobbit
      holes" are about to become a new architectural fad:
      http://www.stormbear.com/bagend2/

      The Slashdot story is available at
      http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/27/0042251&mode=thread&tid=133
      if you want to read the commentary there.
      --
      %% Max Rible % slothman@... % www.amurgsval.org/~slothman/ %%
      %% "Before enlightenment: sharpen claws, catch mice. %%
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
        Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?

        What's wrong with this picture?

        However, this would conveniently double as a fallout shelter . . . .

        Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

        Susan
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
          SusanPal@... wrote:

          >Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?

          Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
          have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
          would be more useful.

          Would need more space for my library, computers and stuff. Still it is a
          nice start. Now all I need is a hill...

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa
        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
            Also needs more fireplaces, not just in the kitchen. What's a zen room
            without a fireplace, I ask you?

            And one would have to deal with the issue of radon buildup, as with any
            underground house. But I still wants one!

            Janet

            >Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?

            Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
            have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
            would be more useful.

            Would need more space for my library, computers and stuff. Still it is a
            nice start. Now all I need is a hill...

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2658116.4039490.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
            27:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https://www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22lp?Targe
            t=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2658116.4039490.1925585/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=549242885>

            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
              At 12:00 PM 12/2/2002 , Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:
              >SusanPal@... wrote:
              >
              >>Wait a minute -- a Hobbit Hole with a *garage*?
              >>
              >Sure you have to have someplace to keep the horse and cart! "Garages"
              >have been around for centuries. Still a more modern h&c, ie my car,
              >would be more useful.

              There are a fair number of above-ground barn-like buildings in Hobbiton,
              according to Tolkien's drawing "The Hill: Hobbiton-across-The-Water," which
              could easily have been used as garages in the sense Lisa means.

              - David Bratman
            • Paul F. Labaki
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
                Surely radon must be a substance unknown to hobbit science in the Third Age,
                so I can't see Merry writing a treatise on smial radon mitigation. If
                Saruman were to be consulted, he might know a thing or two on the subject.

                Peace,
                Paul Labaki