Re: [mythsoc] Re: "Great Literature"

  • LARRY SWAIN
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2002

      > What is Anglo-Latin? Can you give me a few titles
      > and a period?

      Anglo-Latin is Latin texts written by Anglo-Saxon
      authors. Latin written in England or Ireland from the
      sixth century to the tenth displays certain
      characteristics that set it apart from Latin on the
      Continent--the more so in the early part of the period
      than the late. Aldhelm is a prime example, with his
      "made up" high falootin' vocabulary and style.

      > So close to Wheaton... I guess you get to attend
      > things there now and then?
      > Lucky you.

      Actually no. Close, but not that close. I don't have
      a car in the city, so that means the train, and if I
      planned it, it could be done, but anything in the
      evening is hard to get out to Wheaton and then back
      downtown, and then catch yet another train to the part
      of the city I live in. It makes for a LONG day. But
      I'm looking forward to Christmas break.

      > I got scolded for constantly trying to work Lewis
      > and probably Williams into
      > my papers for a Milton class... but remained warmly
      > in awe of the prof, he
      > was good & tough. Need more like him, the late Hugh
      > Maclean. Got to take a
      > few classes with a Rossell Hope Robbins back then,
      > too, but he went easy on
      > us, he was retiring. I think he was a medieval
      > notable though. The kind of
      > character one can aspire to be. Visited my alma
      > mater a while back, didn't
      > recognize Any of the names on the board in the
      > Humanities bldg. I was sad.
      >
      > Lizzie

      I know that feeling. Even the places I've recently
      left are experiencing changes, so that when I go back
      to do research or other things, the changes have
      already occurred and its like I'm a stranger there
      rather than in the thick of things. Always a bit
      melancholy.

      Larry