Re: [mythsoc] Post-colonialism and U of I, Chicago

  • LARRY SWAIN
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
      --- "M. Briski" <aslan122@...> wrote:

      > Ooo... close to Wheaton, indeed. And I've heard talk
      > of U of I at Chicago in my search for graduate
      > schools-- even little me here in tiny little Bowling
      > Green S.U. (shall we just call it cow-patty U. and
      > be
      > done with it? I can count the number of decent profs
      > on one hand, and they aren't all teaching.) The
      > rumour
      > has it, dear Larry, that your institution is rising
      > rapidly, and while you aren't quite near the top yet
      > you will be in a couple of years. How do you find
      > teaching there?

      I confess I haven't been to Wheaton yet. But probably
      will fairly soon, and I need to get my name on mailing
      lists so that I know when things are going on there
      Inkling related.

      UIC is an interesting place. Stanley Fish is here, of
      interest to those in the recent conversation, and
      other "theorists" come through. A number of key
      writers and thinkers come through the area, and often
      (though not always) come to UIC. The student body is
      very urban, and urban in the old fashioned sense.
      Here you will find not only inner city whites and
      blacks, but a large number of second language
      speakers--children of immigrants from Eastern Europe
      (Polish, Ukrainean, Lithuanian, etc), Indian, Iranian
      and Iraqui and other Arabic peoples, Latinos,
      Taiwanese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Ethiopian, and
      more. It is a fascinating mix and challenging to hear
      two blonde students walking down the sidewalk speaking
      Ukrainean, a couple of Latinos in Spanish passing me
      on the other side, and someone speaking Russian to a
      group crowded around them in the quad. And I'm
      supposed to teach these guys English language and
      literature. It is a challenge to defend Anglo-Saxon
      and Middle English as fields of study in such an
      environment. So while UIC doesn't have a lot of
      resources for being an Anglo-Saxonist and
      "philologist" in either the old or new senses of the
      word, it is a very good and great place to be.

      Larry Swain