Re: [mythsoc] Aragorn and kingship, and kingship elsewhere

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
      In a message dated 11/25/2002 7:47:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > I bet Asimov has done some nice readable essays on
      > them though.

      I'm pretty sure he hasn't. Asimov was (as he admitted himself) pretty weak
      in math for somebody with a Ph.D. in chemistry. He said in his autobiography
      (or maybe it was in one of his essays) that he wouldn't even pretend to
      knowledge of any math beyond first-year calculus. Besides, fractals only
      became well known fairly late in Asimov's life.

    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
        In a message dated 11/25/2002 9:27:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        > Besides, fractals only became well known fairly late in Asimov's life.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        Oh, right, he's dead, isn't he? :-( My mistake. So whose should I read
        then? Barbara Kingsolver? I'm not sure what she wrote about but I did just
        pick up a book of her essays (if that isn't an incriminating display of
        anti-logic then I'm Yu-Sai Wa Wa).

        Thank you, Wendell & sweet dreams to you tonight.

        Lizzie

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
          I don't know really. The only book I can think of offhand is _Chaos_ by
          James Gleick.