Re: [mythsoc] Aragorn and kingship, and kingship elsewhere

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
      In a message dated 11/23/2002 1:38:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      tgshaw@... writes:

      > Discover* magazine (not related to the Discovery Channel, BTW) had a
      > full-length article on a study of Jackson Pollock's artwork that showed the
      > degree of fractals appearing in it is very close to what's most appealing
      > to us in nature (measured, IIRC, by showing research subjects photos of
      > natural settings--tree branches and the like--displaying fractals in
      > varying degrees). "Splash art" made randomly didn't have this quality. So
      > there may be an actual reason that some people would pay good money for a
      > Pollock, but look at my display of drips and shake their heads. I'm afraid
      > the whole process of determining the degree of fractals in something was a
      > bit beyond me--while I'm fascinated by fractals (I've been known to take a
      > great deal of time turning a head of cauliflower into crudités because I
      > spend so much time just looking at the pieces and patterns), I've never
      > understood them mathematically.

      BTW I found this especially interesting, although all I know about fractals
      is that they are some sort of math related to pretty patterns, and that they
      can be studied. lol. I bet Asimov has done some nice readable essays on
      them though. I don't really have anything to add but I wanted to thank Trudy
      for her post, it's given me food for thought. More cauliflower anytime,
      Trudy! Hey, I bet fractal study could be applied to beadwork as well.

      Lizzie

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
        In a message dated 11/25/2002 7:47:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > I bet Asimov has done some nice readable essays on
        > them though.

        I'm pretty sure he hasn't. Asimov was (as he admitted himself) pretty weak
        in math for somebody with a Ph.D. in chemistry. He said in his autobiography
        (or maybe it was in one of his essays) that he wouldn't even pretend to
        knowledge of any math beyond first-year calculus. Besides, fractals only
        became well known fairly late in Asimov's life.

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
          In a message dated 11/25/2002 9:27:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > Besides, fractals only became well known fairly late in Asimov's life.
          >
          > Wendell Wagner

          Oh, right, he's dead, isn't he? :-( My mistake. So whose should I read
          then? Barbara Kingsolver? I'm not sure what she wrote about but I did just
          pick up a book of her essays (if that isn't an incriminating display of
          anti-logic then I'm Yu-Sai Wa Wa).

          Thank you, Wendell & sweet dreams to you tonight.

          Lizzie

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
            I don't know really. The only book I can think of offhand is _Chaos_ by
            James Gleick.