Re: [mythsoc] a question about Aragorn

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2002
      Old.Ghost@... wrote:

      > Obviously, Tolkien must have known about this (hands of a king are hands
      > of a healer), but what do you think this does for the interpretation of
      > Aragorn as "ruler by divine right". Yes, he was the direct line
      > descendant of the true line of kings, but this puts him even beyond that
      > claim. Is it his ancient tie to Elf blood making him divine? That would
      > put an interesting spin on the Elves in the whole of The Lord of the
      > Rings. Or do you think that since we are not told *in* the story that
      > this Royal healing touch is divine right, it should be taken as just an
      > interesting confirmation of Aragorn as king that has nothing to do with
      > divine right?

      But Aragorn =does= have divine descent. Elros and Elrond were
      descended from Luthien, and she was the daughter of Melian, who
      was a Maia -- essentially an angelic being. And Elros was the
      founder of the Numenorean royal line, which Aragorn descends
      from. Whether this gives him "divine right" is a separate
      question, but there are some hints that the healing powers have
      to do with this descent from Melian.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>