Re: [mythsoc] Aragorn and kingship, and kingship elsewhere

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
      In a message dated 11/24/2002 4:58:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > Course then we are getting into religion as fantasy, and that is a whole
      > 'nother hornet's nest.

      Yep. I keep trying to work on an essay on the intersections between faith
      and fantasy, and it keeps getting too complicated on me! My sense is that
      imagination and intution lie at the core of both, and that both are about
      certain kinds of investment in things not seen -- and both are about
      liminality, too, about negotiating boundaries between knowledge and belief.
      But it really *is* a hornet's next, and I haven't been able to work out
      anything very coherent yet!

      And perhaps Tolkien did it as well as anyone could in "On Fairy-stories."
      "God is the Lord, of angels, and of men -- and of elves." I nearly swooned
      when I read that.

      Susan

    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
        In a message dated 11/23/2002 1:38:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        tgshaw@... writes:

        > Discover* magazine (not related to the Discovery Channel, BTW) had a
        > full-length article on a study of Jackson Pollock's artwork that showed the
        > degree of fractals appearing in it is very close to what's most appealing
        > to us in nature (measured, IIRC, by showing research subjects photos of
        > natural settings--tree branches and the like--displaying fractals in
        > varying degrees). "Splash art" made randomly didn't have this quality. So
        > there may be an actual reason that some people would pay good money for a
        > Pollock, but look at my display of drips and shake their heads. I'm afraid
        > the whole process of determining the degree of fractals in something was a
        > bit beyond me--while I'm fascinated by fractals (I've been known to take a
        > great deal of time turning a head of cauliflower into crudités because I
        > spend so much time just looking at the pieces and patterns), I've never
        > understood them mathematically.

        BTW I found this especially interesting, although all I know about fractals
        is that they are some sort of math related to pretty patterns, and that they
        can be studied. lol. I bet Asimov has done some nice readable essays on
        them though. I don't really have anything to add but I wanted to thank Trudy
        for her post, it's given me food for thought. More cauliflower anytime,
        Trudy! Hey, I bet fractal study could be applied to beadwork as well.

        Lizzie

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
          In a message dated 11/25/2002 7:47:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > I bet Asimov has done some nice readable essays on
          > them though.

          I'm pretty sure he hasn't. Asimov was (as he admitted himself) pretty weak
          in math for somebody with a Ph.D. in chemistry. He said in his autobiography
          (or maybe it was in one of his essays) that he wouldn't even pretend to
          knowledge of any math beyond first-year calculus. Besides, fractals only
          became well known fairly late in Asimov's life.

        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
            In a message dated 11/25/2002 9:27:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > Besides, fractals only became well known fairly late in Asimov's life.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

            Oh, right, he's dead, isn't he? :-( My mistake. So whose should I read
            then? Barbara Kingsolver? I'm not sure what she wrote about but I did just
            pick up a book of her essays (if that isn't an incriminating display of
            anti-logic then I'm Yu-Sai Wa Wa).

            Thank you, Wendell & sweet dreams to you tonight.

            Lizzie

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
              I don't know really. The only book I can think of offhand is _Chaos_ by
              James Gleick.