Art

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2002
      > That's because 20th C. intellectuals told us there are no objective
      > standards for art.

      The art establishment seems to be abandoning the idea of objective standards
      because of repeated waves of profoundly wrong 'objective standards'. I think
      the current trend may have started with the Impressionists being so strongly
      denounced by the critics and scholars of their time. "Van Gogh? Monet? I'm
      mean really! What kind of debased junk is that?" The same thing happened
      with the Bauhaus and the Surrealists. So now many critics are a little more
      careful about claiming personal knowledge of absolute standards.

      By the way, if "that guy who paints with splashes" is Jackson Pollock, he's
      probably the greatest American artist to date.

      - Stephen
    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2002