lecture...blah

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2002
      re last night's lecture:

      Alas, the lecture was sponsored by the campus Christian fellowship or such,
      so there was a strong ideological undercurrent informing and guiding it
      throughout.
      I arrived late, but only stayed for 10 minutes, due to another pressing
      engagement which I was already squeezing for time.(and somehow encouraged by
      a number of other people who left while i was there, obviously with similar
      disappointment)
      The lecture was, to my ears, a rather pedestrian, unsophisticated, ill
      informed (clearly the person had no acquaintance with Tolkien's letters) and
      not even passionately persuasive, ( mostly read from notes) effort to bend
      LOTR into some Christian allegory, where Lembas is a symbol of the Eucharist;
      Denethor is like the biblical King Saul, and likewise we all have our own
      inner palantir and there are some 'thoughts' we should not gaze upon; where
      there are no moral ambiguities, except as perceived by those too smart for
      their own good, only the difficulty of doing what is obviously recognized as
      "the good"; where Evil is eternal, only its minions can be defeated. And so
      forth Not that all these are completely wrong ideas per se (well, the lembas
      as eucharist idea Tolkien specifically and emphatically denied, as I recall),
      but rather they were presented in a simplistic fashion unworthy of the
      richness and subtlety of Tolkien's writing and theology.
      Perhaps I might have stayed for the whole thing and just kept notes of points
      I disagreed with, to better understand what I hear Tolkien to be actually
      saying/implying/inviting our consideration of.
      Oh well...

      John