Re: Harry Potter, a few remarks

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
      Hi

      This is what I know. It is being sponsored by Hicklebee's Children's Books in
      Willow Glen and the Santa Clara County Reading Council. Harold's teacher, Mrs.
      Funke, is a member of the Reading Council.

      To get tickets from Hicklebee's you needed to stand in a long line (some people
      for days), to get a chance at a ticket. This is Star Wars on a a literary scale,
      folks! It got coverage in the newspaper and on local TV and everything. For a
      Book! Yeah!

      The event itself is taking place at the Willow Glen High School (renamed
      Hogwarts School for the occasion <g>) Cafeteria on October 28 at 6:30 pm.
      Tickets are $20 and include a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
      which J.K. Rowling will sign.

      Major Note: They strongly recommend that you bring a child. This event is for
      children. We adult fans must find a child is necessary. Rent a niece or nephew
      or neighbor's kid if needed. But please bring a kid! Scholastic and the SCCRC
      want to encourage kids to read, that is the function of this book
      reading/signing.

      Luckily, as a mom, I come fully equipped.

      Mrs. Funke still has a few tickets. E-mail me privately if you want to go.

      For those of you in the rest of the country, see if your local Children's
      Bookstore is sponsoring a reading/signing. Scholastic seems to be working with
      Children's Bookstores and Literacy Groups.

      Yours in service to Fandom

      Lisa

    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
        In a message dated 9/16/99 4:32:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
        mwinslow@... writes:

        > I think one must immerse oneself in the
        > worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles

        Hey, maybe YOU're a Muggle! Speak for yourself [superior smile]

        Mary S
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
          It appears you've raised the little guy right;� Narnia's one I didn't discover until
          college.

        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
            In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
            d-lena@... writes:

            > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
            > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
            of
            > the
            > book.

            Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
            willing to buy in hardcover.

            Scottishly,

            Mary S
          • THEODORE SHERMAN
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
              I got 'em in hardcover at 40 & 50% off retail. I bought 'em at Sam's Club.

              Ted

              Stolzi@... wrote:

              > From: Stolzi@...
              >
              > In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > d-lena@... writes:
              >
              > > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
              > > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
              > of
              > > the
              > > book.
              >
              > Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
              > willing to buy in hardcover.
              >
              > Scottishly,
              >
              > Mary S

              > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1