Re: Harry Potter, a few remarks

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
      At 3:20 PM -0500 9/16/99, David Lenander wrote:

      >Chrestomanci books of Diana Wynne Jones, especially _Witch Week_ and _Charmed
      >Life_.

      What is chrestomancy? I've forgotten and I doubt my dictionary would list it.

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
        Hi

        This is what I know. It is being sponsored by Hicklebee's Children's Books in
        Willow Glen and the Santa Clara County Reading Council. Harold's teacher, Mrs.
        Funke, is a member of the Reading Council.

        To get tickets from Hicklebee's you needed to stand in a long line (some people
        for days), to get a chance at a ticket. This is Star Wars on a a literary scale,
        folks! It got coverage in the newspaper and on local TV and everything. For a
        Book! Yeah!

        The event itself is taking place at the Willow Glen High School (renamed
        Hogwarts School for the occasion <g>) Cafeteria on October 28 at 6:30 pm.
        Tickets are $20 and include a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
        which J.K. Rowling will sign.

        Major Note: They strongly recommend that you bring a child. This event is for
        children. We adult fans must find a child is necessary. Rent a niece or nephew
        or neighbor's kid if needed. But please bring a kid! Scholastic and the SCCRC
        want to encourage kids to read, that is the function of this book
        reading/signing.

        Luckily, as a mom, I come fully equipped.

        Mrs. Funke still has a few tickets. E-mail me privately if you want to go.

        For those of you in the rest of the country, see if your local Children's
        Bookstore is sponsoring a reading/signing. Scholastic seems to be working with
        Children's Bookstores and Literacy Groups.

        Yours in service to Fandom

        Lisa

      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
          In a message dated 9/16/99 4:32:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
          mwinslow@... writes:

          > I think one must immerse oneself in the
          > worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles

          Hey, maybe YOU're a Muggle! Speak for yourself [superior smile]

          Mary S
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
            It appears you've raised the little guy right;� Narnia's one I didn't discover until
            college.

          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
              In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
              d-lena@... writes:

              > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
              > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
              of
              > the
              > book.

              Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
              willing to buy in hardcover.

              Scottishly,

              Mary S
            • THEODORE SHERMAN
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                I got 'em in hardcover at 40 & 50% off retail. I bought 'em at Sam's Club.

                Ted

                Stolzi@... wrote:

                > From: Stolzi@...
                >
                > In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                > d-lena@... writes:
                >
                > > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                > > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
                > of
                > > the
                > > book.
                >
                > Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
                > willing to buy in hardcover.
                >
                > Scottishly,
                >
                > Mary S

                > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1