Re: Harry Potter, a few remarks

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
      I'm enjoying all this discussion of the Harry Potter books and have been
      meaning to jump in, but have been too busy today. Finally got the time.

      I've read the first two and just yesterday broke down and ordered v3 from
      SFBC. (I say 'broke down' coz I'm in a 'no buy' zone right now till I get some
      other book-reading commitments out of the way -- running out of room on my
      bed-side table <g>).

      The books feel to me like a cross btwn Dahl and Wodehouse -- but not the
      Jeeves or Blandings Wodehouse, but the Wodehouse of the White Feather, the
      early Wodehouse. And since I love Dahl and since I love the early Wodehouse
      (no matter how poorly written tehy are), I naturally have been enjoying the
      Potter books.

      I somewhat agree with David Lenander that they're (so far) mostly brain candy,
      but oh, what candy! These aren't circus peanuts, but Lindt chocolates. Sure
      they add to the hips (or to the brain-fat), but they're worth it.

      As to the points Mary brought up, I think one must immerse oneself in the
      worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles. The
      Muggles of the books are not *us* per se, but rather the backwards saps of
      that fantasy world. I'm sure anyone wise enough to be a member of the
      Mythopoeic Society would be a 'mud blood' at worst. <g>

      "Be careful. You know what he's like after a few novels."
      --M. Python
      Currently reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges

      Not responsible for the following ad, but I've played one on TV.
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
        At 3:20 PM -0500 9/16/99, David Lenander wrote:

        >Chrestomanci books of Diana Wynne Jones, especially _Witch Week_ and _Charmed
        >Life_.

        What is chrestomancy? I've forgotten and I doubt my dictionary would list it.

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
          Hi

          This is what I know. It is being sponsored by Hicklebee's Children's Books in
          Willow Glen and the Santa Clara County Reading Council. Harold's teacher, Mrs.
          Funke, is a member of the Reading Council.

          To get tickets from Hicklebee's you needed to stand in a long line (some people
          for days), to get a chance at a ticket. This is Star Wars on a a literary scale,
          folks! It got coverage in the newspaper and on local TV and everything. For a
          Book! Yeah!

          The event itself is taking place at the Willow Glen High School (renamed
          Hogwarts School for the occasion <g>) Cafeteria on October 28 at 6:30 pm.
          Tickets are $20 and include a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
          which J.K. Rowling will sign.

          Major Note: They strongly recommend that you bring a child. This event is for
          children. We adult fans must find a child is necessary. Rent a niece or nephew
          or neighbor's kid if needed. But please bring a kid! Scholastic and the SCCRC
          want to encourage kids to read, that is the function of this book
          reading/signing.

          Luckily, as a mom, I come fully equipped.

          Mrs. Funke still has a few tickets. E-mail me privately if you want to go.

          For those of you in the rest of the country, see if your local Children's
          Bookstore is sponsoring a reading/signing. Scholastic seems to be working with
          Children's Bookstores and Literacy Groups.

          Yours in service to Fandom

          Lisa

        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
            In a message dated 9/16/99 4:32:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
            mwinslow@... writes:

            > I think one must immerse oneself in the
            > worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles

            Hey, maybe YOU're a Muggle! Speak for yourself [superior smile]

            Mary S
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
              It appears you've raised the little guy right;� Narnia's one I didn't discover until
              college.

            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                d-lena@... writes:

                > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
                of
                > the
                > book.

                Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
                willing to buy in hardcover.

                Scottishly,

                Mary S
              • THEODORE SHERMAN
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                  I got 'em in hardcover at 40 & 50% off retail. I bought 'em at Sam's Club.

                  Ted

                  Stolzi@... wrote:

                  > From: Stolzi@...
                  >
                  > In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  > d-lena@... writes:
                  >
                  > > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                  > > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
                  > of
                  > > the
                  > > book.
                  >
                  > Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
                  > willing to buy in hardcover.
                  >
                  > Scottishly,
                  >
                  > Mary S

                  > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1