Re: beauty and wonder

  • Steve Law
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2002
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      "Consider this: in the book, Sam is full of delight at
      the prospect of seeing Elves, and we share in his
      wonder. In the film (esp. the theatrical release --
      the extended version has some scenes that should
      _never_ have been cut that give a nod to the majesty
      of the Elves), there is not the first indication of
      why Sam should ever have such a desire."

      The movie Elves are distant and sad and beautiful, but
      never really warm and light-hearted.
      I was pleased to see the 'Wood-elves leaving
      middle-earth' scene in the extended version, with Sam
      pushing the point home by saying "I don't know why it
      makes me feel so sad". As the whole scene lasts maybe
      20 seconds, why not include it in the cinematic
      release? (If they'd cut out most of the cave-troll
      fight in Moria they'd have had room for all of The
      Council of Elrond, Frodo and Sam's meeting with Gildor
      AND the Tom Bombadil episode too.)

      "even in the extended version, there is no hint of why
      the Fellowship should have become so awestruck by the
      Lady of the Golden Wood as they are at their

      Jackson seems very clumsy in conveying those sort of
      emotional reactions. We never see Gimli having his
      revelation with regards to Galadriel, he's just
      suddenly fawning all over her and shiffling in
      schoolboy embarassment. One would have thought (I'm no
      director but) a quick scene of Gimli's eyes widening
      and gasping in sudden awe intercut with shots of
      beautiful shining Galadriel would have got the message
      across; but it's as if we've missed something.

      Similarly I find Gandalf's reaction at the Council of
      Elrond when Frodo says "I will take the ring" somehow
      poorly timed. We don't actively see his shocked
      reaction - eyes closing in admiration/sadness at
      Frodo's bravery - just the end result, his face with
      eyes closed, as if the DVD's jumped.

      Another example is Aragorn's comeback during his fight
      with the chief Uruk-hai. He takes a right proper
      pounding and is staggering all over the place, badly
      overmastered and bleeding heavily. But before you know
      it he leaps into ferocious attack and easily slays the
      orc. How did he manage to rally himself like that? You
      would expect (cliched as it might be) some close-up
      shot of Aragorn gathering his strength, making a
      silent prayer, snarling in defiance or suchlike. I
      like a good fight scene myself, but they must have a
      proper sequence and logic, a *story*. A beat or pause
      was required during which the strength and valour of
      Aragorn is seen to rise up.

      That's not to say I haven't watched the extended DVD 3
      times since I bought it 5 days ago. It's a whole lot
      more rounded and satisfying than the FOTR-Lite cinema

      Steve Law

      Do You Yahoo!?