Accent Marks

  • Mari Dole
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2002
      Hello,

      I realize this may be considered off topic, but I promise it isn't. I am
      currently having a wonderful time taking Helge Fauskanger's online
      Quenya course. If, in the future, I decide to try my hand at composing
      in that lovely language, I need to know how to write accent marks on the
      computer. I have looked at the keyboard with my screen reader's
      "keyboard help" feature, but can find only the grave (spelling) accent.
      Can someone tell me how the others, such as acute, circumflex, etc. are
      made on the computer? You are welcome to write me off list to avoid
      clutter. Thank you very much.

      Mari Dole
    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 18, 2002
        Do you use Word? If so, up at the top click Insert then Symbol. You'll see
        a grid with lots of letters with accent marks, as well as Greek letters and
        so on. (If you see other symbols instead, choose the font you're working
        with from the pull-down list in this window.) Click the one you want to
        insert it in the word you're writing. Another trick I've learned: Word will
        more than likely tell you the word is spelled wrong. Right click on the
        word, then save it to the dictionary. And then, type it without the
        diacritical marks, This time, right click on the word, choose auto-correct,
        and choose the word you just put in the dictionary. Now when I type "Eowyn"
        it automatically corrects it and adds the accent. Cool!

        I don't know about WordPerfect or any other word processors, but you might
        try looking for a similar "insert symbol" tool if you use some other
        program..

        Janet Croft

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .