Re: Harry Potter, a few remarks

  • Staci Dumoski
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
      Hey, Lisa,

      Could you tell me more about the J.K. Rowlings event here in San Jose?
      I'm local, and would be interested in attending.

      Thanks!

      Staci Ann Dumoski Phantastes
      Editor and Publisher "The Fantasy Writer's Guide"
      editor@... http://www.phantastes.com
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
        Claire loved Harry Potter (the first) and read it in one day. She's currently
        reading her way through all of John Bellairs (except for the adult books, like
        _Face in the Frost_, which I think I'll keep from her for a year or two,yet).

        She'd like to read the next one, but I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
        Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly of the
        book. Very enjoyable, a quick and absorbing read, but it's popcorn for the
        mind. Much is borrowed from several writers, especially Roald Dahl (and I would
        say that Rowlings has a nicer imagination than he did), but I don't think the
        first book (anyhow) has the integrity of the Dickens pastiche in _Charlie and
        the Chocolate Factory_ or the sensitivity of _James and the Giant Peach_.
        Similar books that are really much better books--at least for me--they stick to
        the memory (instead of to the ribs) now when I can barely remember the Harry
        Potter book, read only last year, (except for the badminton/soccor-in-the-air
        game, which was a wonderful idea and marvelously portrayed), are the
        Chrestomanci books of Diana Wynne Jones, especially _Witch Week_ and _Charmed
        Life_. Jane Yolen also did a wizards' school book in _Wizards' Hall_, though
        the masterpiece is Le Guin's _A Wizard of Earthsea_. (I'm sure I've read
        others, but none come to mind immediately. There are many little books
        featuring witch's schools, books that tend to get displayed in libraries around
        Halloween). Le Guin's _Wizard_ isn't a fun and funny school story, though, like
        some of these others.

        I'd like to recommend the OTHER finalists for the Children's Mythopoeic Fantasy
        Award this year, not only the winner, Wynne Jones' _Dark Lord of Derkholm_ which
        is a wonderful story about the dynamics of a very unusual family of seven
        children (don't be distracted by the framing plot device of a novelized _Tough
        Guide to Fantasy Land_), but also _The Heavenward Path_, by Kara Dalkey, a
        wonderful and even better sequel to the earlier book, _Little Sister_, set in
        Japan where a demon befriends the Buddhist heroine; _Ella Enchanted_, by Gail
        Carson Levine, which is far more than a retelling of "Cinderella," establishing
        a whole secondary fantasy world on a fairy-tale premise and brings all the
        characters to life in a very clever magical plot worthy of Diana Wynne Jones or
        Margaret Mahy; and _The Squire's Tale_, by Gerald Morris, in which the author
        attempts to rescue Gawaine from the Malory's calumnies in "Morte d'Arthur" by
        telling Arthurian stories from a more Anglo-Saxon perspective, in the person of
        a new character, a young, elfin squire for Gawaine, telling a story with
        considerable grace, cleverness and insight. There is already a sequel, too.
        In my opinion, all of these books were much superior to _Harry Potter_, in terms
        of the writing and stories, and that's not to disparage _Harry_, which as I
        mentioned, I much enjoyed, as did my 9-year-old daughter, Claire. I look
        forward to borrowing the sequels from my public library or purchasing the
        paperbacks. (I might break down if Claire keeps asking, but only if I can find
        the bestseller on a really good sale).

        I'd also put in a plug for some other recent books that Claire and I really
        enjoyed, the _Boggart_ books of Susan Cooper, which I value over the overblown
        and pretentious "Dark Is Rising" sequence, (though I have only praise for the
        second and third books of the sequence, the title volume and _Greenwitch_), and
        Claire seemed to enjoy Pullman's _Clockwork_, which is a fine tale in the
        tradition of Tieck or Hoffman, though she stoutly insisted that it's not really
        a *children's* book, the scene where the prince's heart was cut out was too
        grotesque, apparently.

        Responding to the message of <37E1414C.BDCBB80D@...>
        from mythsoc@onelist.com:

        > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
        >
        > After a bit of prodding, Little Harold has finally snagged the (still unread
        > by
        > me) copies of the books in the house. He's in the middle of Jeremy Thatcher,
        > Dragon Hatcher, but that is proving to be a very fast read, as in he doesn't
        > want to put the book down. So I should have report soon on a child's eye view
        > of
        > the Harry Potter books.
        >
        > JK Rowling is having a major literary event, complete with signing of the new
        > book in a few weeks here in San Jose. Harold's teacher has tickets for sale.
        > We
        > are getting one (which lets in a child with adult).
        >
        > Will send in a report.
        >
        > He's also asking for the Narnia books. Going to have to find the kids'
        > copies,
        > someplace in the older bookcases. Or buy him his own set (cheap through
        > Scholastic Books). Yes, Harold has taken to reading Children's Fantasy. I'm a
        > happy mommy!
        >
        > Mythically yours,
        >
        > Lisa

        > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1

        > .
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
          I'm enjoying all this discussion of the Harry Potter books and have been
          meaning to jump in, but have been too busy today. Finally got the time.

          I've read the first two and just yesterday broke down and ordered v3 from
          SFBC. (I say 'broke down' coz I'm in a 'no buy' zone right now till I get some
          other book-reading commitments out of the way -- running out of room on my
          bed-side table <g>).

          The books feel to me like a cross btwn Dahl and Wodehouse -- but not the
          Jeeves or Blandings Wodehouse, but the Wodehouse of the White Feather, the
          early Wodehouse. And since I love Dahl and since I love the early Wodehouse
          (no matter how poorly written tehy are), I naturally have been enjoying the
          Potter books.

          I somewhat agree with David Lenander that they're (so far) mostly brain candy,
          but oh, what candy! These aren't circus peanuts, but Lindt chocolates. Sure
          they add to the hips (or to the brain-fat), but they're worth it.

          As to the points Mary brought up, I think one must immerse oneself in the
          worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles. The
          Muggles of the books are not *us* per se, but rather the backwards saps of
          that fantasy world. I'm sure anyone wise enough to be a member of the
          Mythopoeic Society would be a 'mud blood' at worst. <g>

          "Be careful. You know what he's like after a few novels."
          --M. Python
          Currently reading: Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges

          Not responsible for the following ad, but I've played one on TV.
        • Steve Schaper
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
            At 3:20 PM -0500 9/16/99, David Lenander wrote:

            >Chrestomanci books of Diana Wynne Jones, especially _Witch Week_ and _Charmed
            >Life_.

            What is chrestomancy? I've forgotten and I doubt my dictionary would list it.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
              Hi

              This is what I know. It is being sponsored by Hicklebee's Children's Books in
              Willow Glen and the Santa Clara County Reading Council. Harold's teacher, Mrs.
              Funke, is a member of the Reading Council.

              To get tickets from Hicklebee's you needed to stand in a long line (some people
              for days), to get a chance at a ticket. This is Star Wars on a a literary scale,
              folks! It got coverage in the newspaper and on local TV and everything. For a
              Book! Yeah!

              The event itself is taking place at the Willow Glen High School (renamed
              Hogwarts School for the occasion <g>) Cafeteria on October 28 at 6:30 pm.
              Tickets are $20 and include a copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
              which J.K. Rowling will sign.

              Major Note: They strongly recommend that you bring a child. This event is for
              children. We adult fans must find a child is necessary. Rent a niece or nephew
              or neighbor's kid if needed. But please bring a kid! Scholastic and the SCCRC
              want to encourage kids to read, that is the function of this book
              reading/signing.

              Luckily, as a mom, I come fully equipped.

              Mrs. Funke still has a few tickets. E-mail me privately if you want to go.

              For those of you in the rest of the country, see if your local Children's
              Bookstore is sponsoring a reading/signing. Scholastic seems to be working with
              Children's Bookstores and Literacy Groups.

              Yours in service to Fandom

              Lisa

            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                In a message dated 9/16/99 4:32:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                mwinslow@... writes:

                > I think one must immerse oneself in the
                > worldview of the Potter books and ignore the fact that we are Muggles

                Hey, maybe YOU're a Muggle! Speak for yourself [superior smile]

                Mary S
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 16, 1999
                  It appears you've raised the little guy right;� Narnia's one I didn't discover until
                  college.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                    In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    d-lena@... writes:

                    > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                    > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
                    of
                    > the
                    > book.

                    Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
                    willing to buy in hardcover.

                    Scottishly,

                    Mary S
                  • THEODORE SHERMAN
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 17, 1999
                      I got 'em in hardcover at 40 & 50% off retail. I bought 'em at Sam's Club.

                      Ted

                      Stolzi@... wrote:

                      > From: Stolzi@...
                      >
                      > In a message dated 9/16/99 3:55:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      > d-lena@... writes:
                      >
                      > > I'm not willing to buy it in hardcover.
                      > > Unlike many of those on this list (apparently) I didn't think that highly
                      > of
                      > > the
                      > > book.
                      >
                      > Hey David, I got it from the =library=! Precious few are the books I am
                      > willing to buy in hardcover.
                      >
                      > Scottishly,
                      >
                      > Mary S

                      > http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1