Re: [mythsoc] Help on LOTR type inscription

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
      In a message dated 11/15/2002 1:03:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > of living love and mortal pain."
      >
      > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

      Yeah, really. Sounds Way too realistic. Lust and bills, adoration and sinus
      trouble...

      sorry.

      What IS all this about Action Chicks anyway?

      Lizzie

    • JP Massar
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
        At 10:01 AM 11/15/02 -0800, you wrote:
        >At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:
        >
        > > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
        > >
        > >One very quick scan can up with:
        > >
        > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
        > >of living love and mortal pain."
        >
        >And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

        Depending on one's views and take on the verse,
        some might find it appropriate.

        I was mostly suggesting the poem as a potential source
        of quotes for an inscription; not that particular one.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
          At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:

          >> > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
          >> >
          >> >One very quick scan can up with:
          >> >
          >> >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
          >> >of living love and mortal pain."
          >>
          >>And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?
          >
          >Depending on one's views and take on the verse,
          >some might find it appropriate.

          "A binding chain of ... mortal pain"? Orcs, perhaps.

          - David Bratman
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
            In a message dated 11/15/2002 12:03:30 PM Central Standard Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
            > >of living love and mortal pain."
            >
            > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

            Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows what
            may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see all
            ends."

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
              In a message dated 11/15/2002 2:47:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              Stolzi@... writes:

              > Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows what
              > may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see all
              >
              > ends."

              :How about, "hope without guarantees"? ;-)

              Susan

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                > At 09:36 AM 11/15/2002 , JP Massar wrote:
                >
                > > Maybe something from the Lay of Luthien?
                > >
                > >"and Fate them forged a binding chain
                > >of living love and mortal pain."
                >
                > And you're suggesting this for a wedding ring?

                Yes, ugh. I threw the catalog out so I can't remember the name of it, but
                they do sell rings with "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written
                in either Latin or Hebrew, whichever you prefer, in silver or gold. If I'd
                seen that before we got married, I'd be sorely tempted to get those as
                wedding rings.

                Berni
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                  From: <SusanPal@...>

                  > Stolzi@... writes:
                  >

                  > > Turns out I misread and it is just a "girlfriend" ring. But who knows
                  what
                  > > may develop, perhaps the ring should say "Even the very wise cannot see
                  all
                  > > ends."
                  > >

                  > :How about, "hope without guarantees"? ;-)

                  How about "not all that glitters is gold"? Or diamonds, in some cases.
                  Heh-heh.

                  Berni
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                    In a message dated 11/15/2002 8:31:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    bernip@... writes:

                    > Yes, ugh. I threw the catalog out so I can't remember the name of it, but
                    > they do sell rings with "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" written
                    > in either Latin or Hebrew, whichever you prefer, in silver or gold. If I'd
                    > seen that before we got married, I'd be sorely tempted to get those as
                    > wedding rings.

                    I've seen them too. Wonder if you could find them via google. Get them as
                    anniversary rings...? Between them and the AVO ones I've seen, there's a
                    lot to covet.

                    Lizzie, making jewelry tonight as it happens...

                  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 15, 2002
                      The Source for Everything Jewish has them in Hebrew.
                      http://www.jewishsource.com I searched under Wedding Ring and found
                      several versions.

                      I'm drooling over the celtic knot ones at Pyramid Collection. That is
                      what we wanted when we got married, but "Romantic" wasn't in that year.
                      *sigh*

                      Mythically yours,
                      Lisa

                    • Stolzi@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 16, 2002
                        I received a "hope this helps" on another list with the following - the
                        website may be of interest to some:

                        "Try the Grey Company website at <A HREF="http://www.grey-company.org/">http://www.grey-company.org/</A>

                        "The entire site is related to the elvish language as originally concieved by
                        Tolkein. It has a really nice elvish font style too! Additionally, for free
                        download, there are both an elvish phrase dictionary and a regular dictionary
                        too.

                        "Here's some examples from the Phrase book

                        A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting
                        Elen sila lumenn omentilmo

                        My heart sings to see thee
                        Cormamin lindua ele lle

                        Don't talk about what you have done (or what you are going to do). (Do
                        it and let it speak for itself.)
                        Uuma quena en'mani lle ume (ri'mani lle umaya). (Uma ta ar'lava ta quena
                        ten'irste'.)

                        Fair winds
                        Vanya sulie

                        May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown
                        Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha

                        May the wind fill your sails
                        Aa' i'sul nora lanne'lle

                        May thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back
                        Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle

                        The bones of our foes will gleam under the sun
                        I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor "

                        And I (Diamond Proudbrook again) add:

                        for SOME girlfriends, maybe

                        "The bones of our foes will gleam under the sun"

                        would be just the ticket? :)

                        DP

                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 16, 2002
                          Anyway, the gentleman in question went for another Irish inscription, not
                          LOTR-related after all. It had to do with "intertwining" - perhaps in
                          reference to the characteristic tracings of Celtic art, I don't know.

                          quote

                          ANAM CHÁIRDE IDIRCEANGAILTE GO DEO

                          soul mates intertwined for eternity

                          /quote

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 18, 2002
                            I'd love the Celtic knotwork rings, so I'll have to check out Pyramid
                            Collections; as for the inscription, it might be fun to find some droll
                            hobbitish proverb. ---djb

                            http://mail2web.com/ .